Summer at Calef Farm
Sanbornton, NH

Ind01bar

Dr. Ralph Meader and his wife, Olive Root Meader, bought the Calef farm in 1938. The property included about 100 acres of land on a hilltop, the large main house, built c1792, several attached buildings of uncertain vintage, and a 75-ft queen-post barn built in the early 19th century.  In 1946, Dr. & Mrs. Root bought the property across the crossroad, about 7 acres of land straddling Calef Road.  The Root House, as we still call it, was built c1763 and has a large upstairs room that was obviously used as a meeting place at some time in the past.  It also has a 3-bay barn with attached woodshed and tool shed.

Today, the great elm tree in the bottom picture is no longer there, and Burleigh Hill Road was widened and paved in the early 1960's -- but Calef Road is still gravel and dirt, and the houses at the crossroad look much the same as they did long ago.

WheelBarrow Boys
The Meader House at Calef Farm
Dr. Root & the Tuttle Boys, c1954
Charlotte Root Charlotte & John
Charlotte M. Root
by the Meader barn, c1940
Charlotte Root & John Tuttle
Yard work, Summer 1942
Mary Meader and Gandma Root First Grandson
Mary Meader & Mary Root
at the Meader farm, c1943
The First Grandson
Dr. & Mrs. Root with John R. Tuttle, 1946
Root House Tuttle Sons
The Root House, c1960
Burleigh Hill Road at Calef Road
John B. Tuttle & Sons
behind the Root House, August 1953

Ind01bar
Copyright © 2001 by David B. Tuttle
This page last updated on 16-Feb-2003.

Album Index
Index
Home
Home
Gallery
Gallery
Genealogy
Genealogy