MOSES BATCHELLER, born 22-Nov-1784 in Sutton, Worcester County, MA;
son of Abner BATCHELLER born 1755 &
Prudence LELAND born ____;
died 2-Nov-1864 in Grafton, MA.
At the age of 14 he went to Boston and enlisted in the U. S. Navy.
He was assigned to the Frigate Constitution,
then under the command of Captain Isaac Hull, as cabin boy.
He served one year, including a cruise around the West India
Islands for the protection of American shipping. After
discharge he returned to Sutton, MA, and was employed by John
Marble of Marbleville, Sutton, MA, a scythe manufacturer. He
became known as "one of the best temperers of steel in
Worcester County and that section," carrying on scythe
manufacturing in Grafton, MA, and Burrillville, RI.
Married (1) 18-Apr-1802 to Rachel WAKEFIELD;
daughter of Jonathan Wakefield, Jr., born ____ & __?__;
died c1804; no children.
Married (2) 7-Jan-1807 to Polly CHASE;
born 25-Jan-1791 in Sutton, MA, North Parish;
daughter of Thaddeus CHASE born 1763 &
Persis MARBLE born 1769;
died 16-Jan-1871 in Sutton, MA.
Children of Moses & Polly:
- Mary Batcheller, born 22-Dec-1807;
- Moses Leland Batcheller, born 3-Dec-1809;
Alexander Freeland Batcheller, born 2-Dec-1811;
married (1) 1835 in Sutton, MA, to Lucy DEAN, 1 child;
married (2) in Sutton, MA, to Ruth YOUNG, 1 child;
married (3) 24-Aug-1846 in Burrillville, RI, to Keziah WALLING, 5 children;
died 29-Sep-1878 in Cedar Falls, IA.
- Jonas H. Batcheller, born 17-Mar-1816;
- Charles Franklin Batcheller, born 4-Mar-1821
in Bramansville, West Millbury, MA;
- Family group record information from Mrs. Olive R. Meader and living relatives;
- Vital records of Sutton, MA, page 231;
- "Batchelder, Batcheller Genealogy",
Frederick Clifton Pierce, 1898, Chicago, IL: pg 499, #456;
- LDS Family Search Ancestral File AFN: NK9R-RW and related entries