THOMAS ROOTE, born 16-Jan-1604/05 in Badby, Northampton, England;
son of John ROOTE born
1576 & Ann RUSSELL born 1574;
died 17-Jul-1694 in Northampton, Hampshire County, MA.
Emigrated 1637 to Salem, MA, then moved to Hartford, CT,
as one of the first settlers. He was a soldier in 1637 at
Pequot; listed as a landowner in 1639; named as early town
settler on a monument in the graveyard at rear of Centre
Church in Stratford, CT. A total of six sons and one daughter
were all born in Hartford, CT, prior to 1654.
Moved up the Connecticut River from Hartford, CT, to
Northampton, MA, on 9-May-1654 or 1659; appointed selectman in 1659;
both a farmer and a weaver of cloth, "pillar of the
parish church". The Roote home was on King Street, now
opposite the Roman Catholic Church, but was torn down in 1870.
Will of Alexander Alvord - 1689
Northampton Reg. of Probate, Hampshire County, MA; Vol. 1, p. 265
Married (1) c1630 in England to Sarah __?__;
died 1630s in England.
Married (2) c1639 in Hartford, CT, to Elizabeth __?__;
born ____ in _____; daughter of _____ & _____; died ____.
Children of Thomas & Elizabeth:
- Joseph Roote, born c1640 in Hartford, CT;
- Thomas Roote,
born 1644; married (1) 3-Jul-1666 in Northampton,
?CT, to Abigail ALVORD, 2 children; married (2) 4-Dec-1701
in _____ to Mary KIRTLAND; died c1700's in Coventry,
Tolland County, CT.
- John Roote, born [10-Jan-1645/46] or [10-Jul-1646];
- Jonathan Roote, born 1648;
- Hezikiah Roote, born 1650;
- Sarah Roote, born c1652; married Samuel
KELLOGG of Ireland;
born 2-Feb-1653/54 in Hartford, CT; married 2-Feb-1680
in Northampton, MA, to Mary FRARY, 10 children; died
9-Aug-1731 in Hebron, Tolland County, CT.
- Information received 14-May-1998 from Fraser Lindsay, email@example.com;
Fraser Lindsay, P.O. Box 5576, Station B, Victoria, BC, V8R 6S4 Canada;
- Root family notes compiled by Captain Lloyd E. Root, CEC
USN (Ret.), of Bellevue, WA, for the Root/Meader/Tuttle
reunion, Sanbornton, NH, 1990;
- Root family GEDCOM information retrieved from the Internet, 1998;
- "Descendants of Thomas Roote", MS-Word report
received Jan-2000 from Richard G. Nelson of California;